Holy Cross Church
(Église Ste. Croix)
Holy Cross Church (Église Ste-Croix), a Roman Catholic Church, has been the focal point for the community of Pomquet for many generations. The church is located in the centre of the community, on a small hill overlooking Pomquet Harbour.
Father Pierre Baccardax has served as pastor of the community of Pomquet since 1957. Weekend masses are celebrated on Saturday at 7 PM and Sunday at 9:30 AM, both with music supplied by one of two community choirs. Weekday masses are also held at various times. Religion classes are taught to school-aged children weekly during the school year at the nearby École Acadienne de Pomquet by community volunteers.
The cemetery located behind the church contains some tombstones dating back to the early 1800s. Many families can trace their family lineages in the cemetery.
Affiliated with the Church is the community hall (Fr. P.J. Baccardax Hall) located about half a kilometer to the south of the Church. The hall is utilized for various community functions such as wedding receptions, dances, and community events.
Holy Cross Church was built in 1863 and replaced a small chapel (La Chapelle de l'Exultation de la Sainte-Croix) that had existed since 1834 and was located half a kilometre north. The community of Pomquet, together with the community of Southside Harbour, became a parish (Holy Cross Parish) in 1875. Prior to this, the community was a mission of the more established and larger Tracadie parish, an Acadian community located eastward along the coastline.